Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Skills that probably wont pay the bills

As I have mentioned previously, there are certain personal attributes/ skills/ passions that I wish I had, but would probably never obtain. When I think about this question my mind wanders back to a Seinfeld episode where George (I think) proclaims he wished he was a history buff. Well, although being a history buff would be pretty high on my list here are my top 3 "useless" traits:
1. classical music aficionado
Some people really dig classical music. I truly wish I would desire to turn the radio on to classical music and passionately enjoy what is being played. In addition, I would also be able to identify the title and composer of the piece. Sadly, it is not without trying as I have been exposed to classical music all my life, participated in ensemble (clarinet), and attended many symphonies. I just can't seem to fall in love with it even though I think I should and want to. This category can also be applied jazz music, opera, and the Latino stations.
2. cheese connoisseur
I love cheese. But my love for cheese stops short at stinky goat and blue cheeses. I have tried these "delights" over and over. I keep hoping it will one day be like sushi was for me and I will grow to love it after a few attempts. Yet, I am like a picky toddler and thinks that goat cheese smells like BO and makes me want to vomit. Blue cheese just makes me think that I am eating expired food which also makes me want to vomit. In the meantime, I will continue to force myself to keep trying and hope for a change in taste. Tastebuds die as we age, right?
3. Political junkie
Why can't I get pumped up over politics? I love seeing the passion that people have for politicians and their platforms. People get so excited and go to rallies, hit the campaign trail, and visually show their support with signs and pins. It is not like that I don't vote (I am a permanent absentee voter), but I just wish I had the exuberance for the topic and campaigning like others.

What are your useless skills you wish you had?

2 comments:

CRigg said...

hi K - here is my list:
1) playing the violin (or some other portable instrument)
2) speaking Mandarin (although this will be very useful eventually!)
3) professional traveling
How are things?

SARAH said...

love this...my skill desires include:
(1) Interior Design
(2) Bartending ("mixology")
(3) Professor of philosophy OR art history.