We were able to get the boys in Valentine Day outfits, but my attempt at arts and crafts went sour again. I tried to get the boys to make Valentines with me. No luck. Although, they did think I was pretty funny because I attempted to cut out a heart, but I did it on the wrong side which left me with 2 halves instead of a whole heart. I guess I should now shoulder some genetic blame for their lack of arts and crafts gene. I used to think it was all Tim.
Now what to do couple style on Valentine's Day. It is always a dilemma. TJ and I aren't really the traditional roses and chocolate type. (I like plants and Tim doesn't really like chocolate.) Even though this year even though we actually have babysitters (woo hoo), we didn't feel like braving the crowds for an over priced meal. We decided to pick out recipes and cook a mega meal at home. We even had our friends Brian and Dina join us for dinner.
Here was our menu:
Thai Red Curry Mussels
Cornish Game Hens with Amaretto Stuffing and Honey Glaze
Cornish Game Hens with Amaretto Stuffing and Honey Glaze
Farm fresh sugar peas sauteed with walnuts and basil (added later)
Bananas Foster
(Funny- all are dishes contained some sort of alcoholic component)
After we we dropped of the kiddos we went on our quest for ingredients. Who knew lemon grass, Cornish game hens, dried cherries, mussels, cherry juice, and bread cubes were so hard to find. Even Costco was out of mussels. AGH! After 3 stores we finally wised up and headed up to Escondido to Major Market. They had it all. Yea- even had farm fresh peas that we just had to have. Yum. Dinner was amazing and we paired it with a Roar Pinot. MMMMMM.
Here is the mussels recipe, that was to die for:
Thai Curry Mussles (based on a bobby flay recipe)
2 tbsp peanut oil (we used sesame)
1 stalk lemon grass (we crushed it)
3 tbsps Thai red curry paste
1/2 cup wine
1 can unsweetened coconut milk (we used the "light" kind)
2 tbsps fish sauce
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 1/2 lbs mussels (we used the new Zealand kind, meatier according to the fishmonger guy)
4 tbsp cilantro, chopped
4 tbsp basil, chopped
Heat oil in a large pot, add the lemon grass, curry paste, wine , coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice and bring to a simmer, whisking. Add the mussels, cover the pot, and let steam until opened. During the last minute of cooking, add the cilantro and basil. Serve into individual bowls, discarding the lemon grass.
3 comments:
Sounds way more romantic than our v-day...we helped Phil and Megan do flooring at their house all day, then enjoyed an all carb dinner (frozen pizza, beer, garlic bread and cookies for dessert) then we came home and passed out at about 9:30. I was planning on cooking something nice for Ron, but the project at Phil's was bigger than I anticipated!
Wow sounds like a feast fit for a king.
I gave my husband a central locking kit for his ute - not romantic by any means but he really really wanted it so at least I was thinking of him.
Ended up going out with friends and drinking waaaay to much wine...Not so much romance but lots and lots of fun!
Nice Valentines day! We cooked at home, too, though nothing seemed to go right no matter what we tried. Oh well...another year perhaps!
Post a Comment