Thursday, February 11, 2010

How did it get to be Feb?

Does time move faster as you age? NPR recently addressed this subject. http://www.wbur.org/npr/122322542
One theory is that as we age we are no longer experiencing so many "firsts" and life is based more on routine. I can kinda understand their logic. However, why is it when I am doing something routine it seems to take forever, but when I am doing something new or challenging, the day seems to fly by. For example, most people say the holidays fly by because there is so much to do.
I always thought perhaps the time flying by sensation was more of a perspective thing. For example, one day in a 5 year olds life is a greater percentage of total alive time than the percentage of one day of adult time out of ones total current alive time. Therefore, I guess time will go faster and faster every day. I wonder what time feels for a 88 year old. What do you think?

2 comments:

Polly said...

its so true isn't it, I can remember as a kid that it took ages and ages to get to Christmas, now the years seem to be flying by.

Melissa said...

Seriously, this past year especially, time is just flying by way too fast. Unfortunately I can't quite figure out what I am doing in all that time (except work)! Hope things start to slow down for you!