Thursday, September 23, 2010

Kindergarten




Sorry for the delay. Life ran away from me. Let's see all that has been happening.... My boys started kindergarten. It has been a little bit of a rough transition, especially for the P. So I thought I was quite clever in that I split the boys up into separate classes so that they could focus on their schoolwork without the distraction of their brother. This worked well for Adam, however, Mr. P got place in a class with kids with much stronger "personalities" than even his brother has. Basically, P has fallen in with the wrong crowd. Yes, this can happen in kindergarten. Consequently, I have been getting some sad e-mails from his teacher that he is an unkind child and displaying bully-like behavior. It has been very upsetting. It is especially distressing when you look up on line and they have all these horrible things to say about the parents of bullies. (There is very little constructive resources- mainly about the victims). Because bullying is taken so seriously nowadays, T and I stepped up to the plate to work hard with P on his behavior- lots of talking to and no treats, no TV, no iphone, etc (yep- it is like AJ is punished too, but I let him know he needs to look out for his brother better to make sure he is making good choices on the playground when they are together). It has been tough because P thinks that these naughty boys are "awesome" and wants to fit in so badly that he will do whatever they tell him to. We have to keep reminding him that he is the master of his fate and in control of his own decisions. I am hoping for a good day today. We got one last week, here's hoping for more. This is going to be a long road.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey lady, keep your chin up and keep up the hard work. It's not easy, but just imagine how much harder it would be if you didn't act on it now. Children are intrinsically GOOD, and I'm sure you'll be able to bring P out of the ugly zone. Hugs, SB