We survived yet another traveling adventure. The boys were almost pleasant. I think it is the secret weapon of the portable DVD player. It is funny, I used to not like cars with DVD players in the backseat. I thought it was too much of a luxury to use on children. Besides, if the kids were busy zoned out watching a video/DVD, I thought they'd miss out on the experience of the journey.
Thinking back to my childhood when such things weren't available (or my folks refuse to buy them for me), I remember I had to endure long car rides from the bay area up to Tahoe without such entertainment. I would just fight with my brother in the back seat (yes- we made a line down it) and watch the landscape roll by listening to my mom's Kenny Rogers/Alabama/Dolly Parton/Cystal Gale tapes. Come to think of it, I used to hate these road trips and would force myself to stay up late the night before so I could nap most of the ride. Maybe I thought that if I had to suffer as a child during road/ plane trips that it was only fair that my children should too- toughen them up! Then I learned that the DVD players were not so much for the children, but for the parents and people around them. This is especially true in a more public place like an airplane. Now we have no more tantrums and minimized emotional outbursts. Amazing. We might actually consider a family trip to the Midwest now.
2 comments:
KAREN (yes, I"m screaming), you're blogging! Yay!
I used to pshaw at people I saw with their kids all plugged in on car rides. I thought it was pitiful not to make your kids, shut up, and enjoy the scenery for crying out loud. UNTIL, I had kids. Now, I think it's brilliant and I wish I had one in our car (okay, not car, minivan ... there, I said it).
Welcome to the blog addiction!
Thanks SOOO much for making the trip. I totally appreciated having you there!!
Post a Comment