
Being back at my parents home for the holidays I was able to peek at alot of old photos. It is fun seeing how I looked at my boys age and noticing the similarities and differences. Although the most fun is seeing me when I was between ages 11 and 14. Wow those were the years- yeah I think I was probably considered pretty nerdy/dork by my peers. Although I don't think those labels bothered me much. I liked being considered one of the smart girls. I do remember feeling that I was not one of the "cute/ hot/ good looking" girls and that made me feel sad.
The picture shows my first day of school starting at Centerville Junior High, 7th grade. From the picture you can see that I was very excited, my brother- not so much. I think in 6th grade I had cut all my hair off and looked like a little boy, but by 7th I may have started to take an interest in my appearance and asked my mom to give me a home-perm. Then I would wake up early to curl it and aquanetted it into a fluffy mess with my Mom's old curing iron which was caked with all of my hairspray. I still had a mouth full of metal but now sported some stylish 80s clothes. By 8th grade, I had grown my hair out a little and started focusing on making my bangs do extreme things like the donut or waterfall look. I think in 8th grade I also started to really get into unnatural looking make-up too.
When I was younger (college aged) I used to be repulsed when I looked back at my young self, and now I just chuckle. I think my boys will get a real kick out of what their mom used to look like. It was pretty hard growing up and feeling awkward and insecure. Hopefully, they will realize that what you were or how you were growing up doesn't mean that the rest of your life will be that way. People can change, grow, and continue to evolve.
Through the wonder of the Internet and social networking web sites it is nice to reconnect with people you didn't really hang out with growing up. I like putting my immature past aside and forge new friendships on an adult level. Although, my friends that put up with me back in the day are the true winners in my book.
2 comments:
You are so right. I actually have great pride in my former Dorothy Hamill haircut and pegged jeans. We have come a LONG way!
Truthfully, I AM thrilled to find out what people are up to these days and how their lives have changed and grown. That is the most interesting part of the reconnection. I did get through school just fine--straight down the middle with some fine friends and memories. It just reminds me that there were some really rough spots early on, that still linger...
Oh yes, I sported a perm and a fringe and some pretty bad make up in my teen years as well. Being so little and young looking, I was forever trying to look older than I really was, these days Im thankful! Oh how the times change!!
Post a Comment