Friday, September 11, 2009
Meat is Murder
On the way home from school today we started talking about the food we eat. I think it started with the boys asking me if I liked to eat crab legs. I said I did like to eat crab legs. They wondered what happened to the crab once you cut off its legs. I told them that the crab is dead and then you eat the crab legs. Then that lead to who kills the crab and I told them people kill animals for you to eat. That got the boys thinking and P wondered if the chicken he ate was chicken from the farm. I told him yes it was and then he started to bawl that killing is wrong and was just horrified that he had been eating dead animals. He told me that he is never ever eating animals again. AJ wondered what steak was from so I told him it came from cows. PJ just kept crying and saying he didn't want us to talk about it anymore. After that talk I took them to the garden store to buy new veggies for our garden.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a heart wrenching conversation to have. What a wonderfully sensitive little boy you have.
Should I get him a "pigs are friends not food" t-shirt? Just kidding :) Well, I am 30 and I still have a hard time understanding why we eat certain animals, but would never imagine eating some others because we love them as pets. I love that P is so sensitive and thoughtful, but I hope it isn't causing any problems!
Post a Comment