Patrick was born with a port wine stain (PWS) that covers the upper left half of his face- which makes it easy to tell the boys apart. He goes to the outpatient center at Children's to get laser surgery for its removal. It is kinda big ordeal for him as he is put under general anesthesia (usually with IV) due to the PWS being around his eye and wakes up looking beat up with bright red/purple dots where his now faded PWS is. He also gets scared when the doctors takes him away from me and they go on the "spaceship" (he gets to press the surgery double doors, hence the spaceship and gets a special mask). He has had so many laser treatments (I lost count at 10) since he was 6 months old that his birthmark is a light blush color.
It is about time to make for his hopefully last major laser session (next are supposedly just touch up time: Yea!) and I tell Patrick that I am going to call the hospital for his appointment. He is very excited to "get his birthmark" as he thinks the aftermath of laser treatment is the actual birthmark. He also likes the look of his face after treatment and I have caught him admiring himself in the mirror. He told me that it is beautiful. Also, now that he is older he enjoys getting the Popsicles and juice (a no-no in our house: bad bellies like their mom) from the kind nurses after he wakes. He brags about this to his brother who is insanely jealous and now wants a birthmark too. Well, Patrick made a deal with Adam this time on the way to pre-school.
A: I want a birthmark too, Pat.
P: Ok, Ad, you can go to the spaceship doctor and get a birthmark and drink juice and have Popsicles.
A: Yea! I will let you read my airplane book.
P: Lot of times?
A: Lot of times.
P: and I can wear the blue CARS shirt lot of times.
A: yes lot of times.
Then they held hands and were very pleasent the whole ride to school.
No comments:
Post a Comment