Thursday, September 18, 2008

Twins Are In

We just found out that Tim's sister is having twins! I know she just wanted to be like her older brother. Copycat!
Honestly, I can not believe the news. Although I joked with her that her baby was really babies, I am shocked that it could really be true. Check out the odds... My boys are the first and were the only blood related grandchildren to Laurie and Carl Jette. Now their next grandchildren (No 3 and 4) are going to be twins as well. Insult to the statistical injury, is that Josh (Jenny's husband and the in utero twins father) has 6 year old, identical twin girls from a previous relationship. So this means that Carl and Laurie will have 3 sets of twin-only grandchildren. Amazing.
The funny thing is that identical twins are not suppose to run in families (just occurs in 1 in 250 to 300 of all births). And if P and A are identical, like I think that they are, then their twinning (egg splitting) was due chance. Even if they were not identical, it the amount of eggs that are dropped is strictly a maternal side and inherited event (a Kostick and not Jette event). Jenny's ultrasound today showed 2 placentas at 12 weeks so that means that she might have fraternal twins (it still could be identical if the placenta split). So if she has fraternal babies, then it might run in the Jette side. If they are identical then, the last 3 births to the Jette family have been identical twins (assuming I am correct that P and A are identical). Amazing.

1 comment:

CRigg said...

Oh goodness. That sounded complicated.