Monday, September 22, 2008

Healthcare

I went with my mom to a AAFP (American Academy of Family Physicians) foundation dinner last week, which was lovely. The main speaker was Mr. Huckabee (who was previously a presidential candidate). Even though I am not really into politics, I enjoyed his speech and funny enough, it got me thinking about politics. He spoke about his experience with his family physician has transformed and as he said "saved" his life. He was able to loose weight and manage his diabetes through diet and exercise with the help of his doctor. What really got me thinking is when he brought up the topic of childhood obesity. It makes me sad that children (who we feed) are having to battle the bulge and that American children (and adults) are getting fatter and fatter. Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember reading about this problem years ago. I just want to know how we fix it. Actually, I don't want to know how we can fix it, but what steps are occurring now to rectify the situation and what are the outcomes. Maybe that is why I can't get into politics. I hate the rhetoric about identifying the problems and proposal of solutions. What I want to see is what work is actually being done, how have we evaluated the results, may it be good or bad, and see what our next educated move is to solve the problem.

1 comment:

CRigg said...

oh, karen. here you go being logical and stuff.

:)

politics is not logical. it defies logic. this is why i'm kind of obsessed about it since i'm trying to understand what, if any strategies or coherence of strategies they are trying to put together.

glad to hear you had a nice time hearing mr. huckabee.